Assistance Abroad

If you are ill or injured, contact the SAIIE staff who will assist you in locating physicians and medical facilities. If you are travelling at the time of an illness or injury, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for a list of local physicians and medical facilities. Consular officers can help you find medical assistance from this list and, at your request, will inform your family or friends. If necessary, a consul can assist in the transfer of funds from family or friends in the United States. Payment of hospital and other medical expenses is your responsibility.

It is important to be aware of the range of services available to you at a U.S. embassy or consulate office. If you run out of money overseas and have no other options, consular officers can help you get in touch with your family, friends, bank or employer and inform them how to wire funds to you. Should you find yourself in legal difficulty, contact a consular officer immediately. Consular officers cannot serve as attorneys, give legal advice, or get you out of jail. What they can do is provide a list of local attorneys who speak English and who may have had experience in representing U.S. citizens. If you are arrested, consular officials will visit you, advise you of your rights under local laws and ensure that you are held under humane conditions and are treated fairly under local law. A consular officer will contact your family or friends if your desire. When necessary, consuls can transfer money from home for you and will try to get relief for you, including food and clothing in countries where this is a problem. If you are detained, remember that under international treaties and customary international law, you have the right to talk to the U.S. consul. If you are denied this right, be persistent. Try to have someone get in touch for you.

Comprehensive information about assistance is available to American citizens abroad can be found at the following web-site:

Students are encouraged to know the location of the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate and to register.
Below you have the information to the American Consulate in Seville:

Plaza Nueva 8-8 Duplicado planta 2, 4 
Mon-Fri 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. 
+34 954 218 751

If students are going to be in a country for more than a couple of weeks, they should register at the American Embassy or Consulate. This is helpful to students and their families, if there is need to locate family members in the event of an emergency.

What U.S. Consular Officers can and can not do to help U.S. citizens abroad

If students find themselves in trouble overseas, the Consular Officer at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can provide certain assistance and advice. Consular Officers can also help in the event of illness, injury, natural catastrophe, evacuations, destitution, or death.

In the United States, the Office of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) can also assist American students abroad and their families in the USA in emergency cases. OCS is open Monday-Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern time. The OCS toll-free hotline at 1-888-407-4747 is available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday and Friday, except U.S. federal holidays. Callers who are unable to use toll-free numbers, such as those calling from overseas, may obtain information and assistance during these hours by calling 317-472-2328.

There are certain things that consular officers at American embassies CAN NOT do for American citizens abroad. For example, they cannot cash checks, lend money or serve as your attorney.



A SAIIE staff member is 24/7 available to the student in case of an emergency jeopardizing their health or safety. If it comes up during business hours, they are provided with a number to contact directly the Student Affairs Director. After hours, they must let their Landlady know immediately so she can contact Student Affairs right away. All Landladies are provided with a number to contact a SAIIE staff member 24/7 in case of an emergency jeopardizing the health and safety of a student.