Spanish American Institute of International Education - SAIIE - FAQ´s

Study Abroad Program Questions

Is the airfare included in the total program cost?
No, airfare is not included.

What day should I arrive?
The first day of the program which is listed on the website should be your departure date. Don’t forget to take the time difference into account when travelling from the US to Spain.

Will I be picked up at the airport upon arrival?
Airport reception is included in the total program cost, but airport transfer to your accommodation is not included.

What day should I depart at the end of the program?
You will need to leave the day after your final exams are done. If you would like to stay longer you need to make the appropriate arrangements with your landladies.

Will I be taken to the airport upon departure of the host country?
Airport transportation at the end of the semester is not included in the program cost.

Academic Questions

What are the academic requirements to participate on this program?

  • Students must have at least sophomore standing at the time of participation.

  • Students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 grading scale.

  • Student must be in good academic standing at the time of participation.

  • Students with a GPA that falls below the requirement can submit at least one letter of recommendation (from an academic reference) and a statement of purpose for consideration. The statement of purpose should be one page, written by the prospective student, explaining why he or she wants to study abroad, and how it will affect his or her academic and professional career. It is also a great opportunity to explain the lower GPA, for example, if there were certain uncontrollable circumstances affecting the student's coursework.

  • No prior knowledge of Spanish is required.

Can my advisor obtain copies of course syllabi before I sign up for classes?
Yes, students or advisors can find copies of our course syllabi here.

I would like to travel while I am in Europe.  Is it possible to change dates of exams?
No, dates of exams cannot be changed for travel-related reasons. In fact, dates of exams, quizzes, homework, etc. may not be changed (whether earlier or later) except for illness and only with a written explanation from a medical doctor. In this case, changes must be approved by the teacher within three days after the class/ exam is missed.

Which classes are mandatory?  
In the spring and fall semesters, all students are required to take at least one Spanish language or literature class. All students are also required to take the Artistic Monuments in Seville class which is taught both in English (ART 3900) and Spanish (ART 3800), except students enrolled in the Intensive Language Track, who may not enroll in any other liberal arts or business classes (however they may take the Flamenco Dance class (PHYED 1330)). Students must maintain at least 12 academic credits throughout the semester. In the winterim term, all students must take the Artistic Monuments in Seville class, taught in English (ART 3800), and in each summer session students may choose one class of 3-4 credits. To view our full course list and course descriptions, please see here.

Can I add or change classes in Seville?
Yes, classes may be added or changed during the first two weeks of class. Approval from the Registrar is required and students must maintain the mandatory classes and minimum of 12 academic credits. Please ensure your Academic Advisor is kept aware of any changes you may make.

Is tutoring help available for my Spanish?
Yes, tutoring is available for all levels of Spanish, including during final exam week.  Students are encouraged to seek the assistance of our tutor.

Can provisions be made for disabled students?
We are able to offer limited accommodation to disabled students. For example, we are able to provide more time for exams, quiet exam locations, and oral rather than written presentations. Students are required to have a letter from their home office of disability services sent to the University of Wisconsin-Platteville Institute for Study Abroad Programs that enumerates the kinds of adjustments needed.


Credit & Transcript Questions

Will I definitely receive credit for the classes I take in Spain?
Your home campus decides if and how any academic credit will be awarded. However, students should be aware that they will be given a copy of their course syllabus and that all homework, quizzes, exams, etc. will be returned to the student. Arrangements can also be made to have final exams and papers forwarded to their home address. Students should keep these papers to help solve any questions about obtaining credit.

Do I have to pay additional fees for a transcript?      
One transcript is provided free of charge upon completion of the program but the student must fill out the transcript request form provided and send it in to the UW-Platteville Education Abroad Office.

How can I request additional copies of my transcript?
Additional copies of transcripts may be obtained for a small fee. Contact the Registrar’s Office at UW-Platteville. You can download a copy of the Transfer Request Form from their webpage.

How long will it take to receive my transcript?  
Students should remember that the end of the semester is a very busy time at the Registrar’s Office. Transcripts are mailed from UW-Platteville one to three months after completion of the semester. The average is 4-6 weeks after completion of the semester.

How do I find out my grades? Will I know my grades before my transcript is sent to my university?
All grades are given out by UW-Platteville. SAIIE does not give grades to the students under any circumstances. SAIIE grade reports are forwarded to UW-Platteville as soon as the semester ends and after processing, the grade report will be sent to the location requested by the student – normally the home address – and a transcript is sent to the location requested on the transcript request form – normally the home university.

How do I know if the credits I take abroad will transfer to my home institution?       
Contact your Academic Advisor from your home university or college. Transfer credit is strictly determined by the home institution. Many universities have a transfer request form at their own campus that is completed prior to departure to Spain so that students know what credits will or will not transfer. However, if there is any doubt about transfer, students should be aware that all homework, quizzes, papers, exams and syllabi can be given to the student and used to help determine if a course will transfer.

I'm taking classes at a foreign university. Will my transcript be in English?                                              
UW-Platteville transcripts are always issued in English.

Where will you send my transcript?                      
Transcripts are forwarded to the location the student has filled out on the Transcript Release Form.

Can my transcript be expedited?                       
Transcripts may be expedited under certain circumstances. Contact the UW-Platteville Education Abroad Office with your request.

Why aren't my grades showing up on my transcript at my home institution?   
Check with your home institutions’ Registrar’s Office and if still in doubt contact the UW-Platteville Education Abroad Office.

Will my credits from abroad impact my GPA at my home institution?                                                        
This is determined by your home institution. Contact your Academic Advisor from your home university or college.

I believe there's an error on my transcript, what can I do?                                                                          
Check with your home institutions’ Registrar’s Office and if still in doubt contact the UW-Platteville Education Abroad Office.

I'm transferring universities or applying to graduate school programs. Will I need to submit my study abroad transcript?
Yes, a copy of your transcript from UW-Platteville will be required. Contact the Registrar’s Office at UW-Platteville. You can download a copy of the Transfer Request Form from their webpage.


Financial Questions

Can I use a credit or debit card in Spain?
Fortunately for travelers, the number of ATM machines abroad has grown by leaps and bounds in recent years. Providing excellent interbank exchange rates, the machines dispense foreign money against American dollars. Most foreign machines are affiliated with the MasterCard/Cirrus system or the Visa/Plus system. Check with your bank to see what fees are charged for overseas transactions before leaving home.

One caveat to keep in mind: Most international ATM machines only accept four-digit PINs (personal identification numbers). If yours is longer than that, head to your local bank before leaving the country to have it changed.

Which is the best place to cash or exchange currency?
Always cash or exchange your currency at major financial institutions. Resist the temptation to exchange money at airports, train stations, hotels, and kiosks.

Can I cash personal checks or travelers checks overseas?
You will NOT be able to cash personal checks nor travelers checks overseas.

Housing Questions

What type of accommodation is provided?
All students participating in the SAIIE program live with Spanish families as part of the cultural immersion program.

Are meals included in the total program cost?
Breakfast and mid-day meals are included Monday through Friday and evening meals Sunday through Thursday.

Are laundry services included in the total program cost?
Each student is allowed 1 load of laundry per week.

How far is the accommodation from the school?
All students are placed in accommodation no more than 30 minutes’ walking distance from the school.

What if I am vegetarian/ have a food allergy?
Please let us know in advance if you are vegetarian or are allergic to a certain type of food and we will ensure you are placed with a family who will cater for your needs.

Passport and Visa Questions

Note: For students who already have a passport, please check BEFORE coming abroad that your passport is not due to expire and that it will be valid for the full length of your stay.

Do I need a passport to study in Spain?
Yes, no matter how long you plan to spend abroad it is your responsibility to obtain a passport. If you need help obtaining a passport, you can contact the study abroad office at UW-Platteville.

Do I need a visa to study in Spain for the spring or fall term?
Yes, you are required to have a student visa. It is your responsibility to obtain one but you can always contact the study abroad office at UW-Platteville and they will help you obtain one.

Do I need a visa to study in Spain for the summer or winterim terms?
No, you will only need a visa if you plan on staying in Spain for more than 90 days.

What happens if I lose my passport?
If you lose your passport or it gets stolen at any point whilst you are abroad you will need to go to the Police Department and file a report. You will then have to take this report to the Embassy who will give you a temporary passport until you can have a new one issued.